Monday, January 6, 2014

100 cool things re: Forest Grove, Oregon

Since moving to Forest Grove, Oregon in late January 2013, I've been sending out tweets on my personal Twitter account, @jayne_a_broad regarding "cool things" about my life here.

Some things made the "cool things" list simply because they're in stark contrast to Canby, where, unfortunately, we spent our first three years back in the USA. And as I said in my first blog about thiswhen I travel, or am living abroad, I am often in this place of utter delight at each thing I encounter. But why not on a day-to-day basis? Why not treat where I live now as a place to observe and discover and delight in? Hence why I have been sending these tweets.

In just less than a year, I found 100 cool things regarding Forest Grove. Here are tweets 71 - 100:

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #71: We're getting a tappas bar!

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #72: My husband, @coyotetrips, finally gets to be a volunteer firefighter in the USA! @ForestGroveFire 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #73: Mysterious, ever-present John Wedell (Helmet John)  

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #74: Periscope used books 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #75: Opposition to Dream Girl Espresso, frequent buycotts of other, non-sexist coffee spots around town. 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #76: Having our historic(?!) home on the Friends of Historic Grove tour last month.

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #77: The historic homes on the Friends of Historic Grove tour last month (not just ours!).

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #78: Corner Antiques & Collectibles (it's in what I think was a former gas station). 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #79: @AdelanteMujeres, nonprofit, works to educate and empower low-income Latina women and families.

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #80: @awloregon: outdoor adventures for people of all ages, incomes, abilities. http://www.awloutdoors.com 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #81: Ronda, mentally-disabled, mostly deaf neighbor, walks block with a feather in her cap (literally).

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #82: neighbor teens included my dog in their homecoming pre-dance photo shoot  

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #83: the chalk art festival downtown a while back. Love how the artwork lasts so long. & the Dr. Who references. 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #84: Our house is on a geo cache tour. 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #85: Neighbor’s cat gets in our window, meow yells at us to spend time w/ her (but no petting allowed)

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #86: La Estrella Tacos is within walking distance from our house 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #87: Tiny cat loves the neighbor’s huge dogs, insists on walking with them.

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #88: Free leaf pick up (or, at least, service included in local taxes we pay). 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #89: We’re so close to Verboort, for quick access to awesome annual Verboort Sausage Dinner. 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #90: In Spring, TriMet #57 will run every 15 minutes! 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #91: Playing pool before 9 at Diamond Palace on a Friday night (no crowds, cheap decent beer on tap)

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #92: Church of Christ minister across other street from us posted on FB wishing every1 a Happy Festivus.

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #93: Association with Tabitha Brown, “Mother of Oregon”. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Brown

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #94: Pacific University http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_University

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #95: Neighbor’s dog howls with joy when she sees me. 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #96: Methodist minister & family across street from us painted an upstairs closet like a Tardis. Photo: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/jayne/29079087

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #97: Valley Art Association shop downtown - lovely items! Got a Christmas present for NEXT year. 

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #98: We gave a neighbor baked goods for xmas. He gave us elk meat. Now I have a v. happy German hubby.

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #99: I’m not the only 1 out at 5:30 a.m. when my dog needs a walk (there’s other dog walkers & joggers)

Cool thing re: Forest Grove, #Oregon #100: That I found 100 cool things to tweet about here in less than a year of living here.

Will I do another 100 in my second year here in Forest Grove? I'm not sure. Best way to find out is to follow my personal Twitter account, @jayne_a_broad - I also tweet about travel!

Here's the first 35. And here's 36 - 70.

No comments:

Post a Comment